One of the first things every novice cannabis user experiences is the cottonmouth (or the dry mouth symptom).
This is what it looks like:
You smoke a joint and after some time you have an overwhelming sensation of dryness in your mouth.
You immediately start panicking and scanning the nearby area for the nearest source of water (or any other liquid of that matter).
Finally, you chug down a liter of water like it’s nobody’s business.
Job done. Well, at least for the next couple of minutes.
Even though it can be confusing at first, cottonmouth is a symptom that everyone experiences when consuming cannabis. To explain what it is exactly, we’ll need to go into a DIY chemist mode.
Why cannabis gives you cottonmouth?
When we consume cannabis, we consume the products of its flowers, called trichomes.
Trichomes are small, translucent structures on top of female plant flowers and they contain chemical substances, called cannabinoids. There are more than 100 different cannabinoids, but the most prominent are THC, CBD, CBN and CBG.
Once we smoke (or metabolize) these cannabinoids, they go into our bloodstream and activate various receptors in our bodies.
These receptors are a part of our very own endocannabinoid system: a physiological factory of cellular stimulators and receptors which have the end goal of bringing balance to our body’s cellular processes.
However, one group of these receptors is located in our salivary glands. Once stimulated, they cut back on the production of saliva, therefore giving you the unpleasant feeling of mouth dryness.
But the big question is:
How do experienced users handle this annoyance?
Well, let’s just say they have a few tricks up their sleeve. And we are going to arm you with these tricks right away.
We scoured the internet in search of the best cures for cottonmouth. That means Reddit, Quora and more than a dozen various forums. We even found Snoop Dogg’s favorite cottonmouth remedy.
This list of 32 dry mouth remedies that you can try out right now
- Chew on a piece of lemon (lime works too)
- Sip on some chocolate milk (make sure the milk is full fat)
- Grab a couple of chewing gums (try both sour and minty gums)
- Munch on some oranges, grapefruits and other citrus fruits
- Drink a carbonated and citrusy drink (like Fresca)
- Sip water before, during and after consuming weed
- Eat a sour candy (something like Jolly Ranchers)
- Nibble on some Skittles (Snoop Dogg’s favorite cottonmouth cure, according to his Reddit AMA)
- Use a lozenge or a cough drop (Fisherman’s Friend should work great)
- Grab a bottle of Gatorade
- Brew a cup of Green Tea
- Eat a spoon of peanut butter
- Make a smoothie with a mango, yogurt, banana and ice
- Drink a glass of apple juice (it does wonders as well)
- Make some DIY popsicles from fruit juice
- Grab a regular, commercial ice cream
- Drink an Arnold Palmer (ice tea and lemonade mix)
- Nip on some watermelon
- Gargle with salt water (it will trigger your salivary glands)
- Rub a tiny bit of cayenne pepper around your tongue
- Down a cup of ginger juice
- Rinse your mouth with aloe vera
- Eat some canned pineapple
- Munch on some fennel seeds
- Brush your teeth and gargle with warm water
- Grab some AriZona Iced tea
- Make a strawberry-banana smoothie
- Squeeze a glass of fresh orange juice
- Try a couple of saltine crackers
- Drink some Mountain Dew
- Sip on a chocolate (or vanilla) milkshake
- Mix some water with pomegranate juice
Before you explore all of these cottonmouth cures, know that everyone is unique — what works for one person may not necessarily work for another.
However, you can spot a trend here: primarily stick to items that help you salivate more. This means citrusy and sour fruits and their corresponding condiments.
As this is a subjective matter, there is also a large group of users that find sugary and fatty stuff helps them out (like chocolate milk). And, as always, there is a lot of store-bought items that work just fine.
So just try as many stuff out as possible and you will eventually find a solution that works best for you.
Right now, we’d like to hear from you
What is your tried and tested method for getting rid of cottonmouth?
Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments below, and if you share some ingenious dry mouth remedies we can include them in some of the future updates of this article.