Pot brownies have been a symbol for weed edibles for decades and are also one of the most popular cannabis-infused foods ever.
Coffee shops in Amsterdam have been selling them for ages under a few different names such as weed brownies, space cakes, magic bites, and so they quickly became the preferred way of getting high for those that don’t enjoy smoking weed.
The two most common ways of making pot brownies are:
- Using a store-bought brownie mix
- Making pot brownies from scratch
Easy pot brownie recipe, using a a store-bought brownie mix (in 3 steps)
Here is how to quickly whip up your weed brownies using a regular brownie mix that you can buy at the grocery store.
- Brownie mix
- 1 cup (8 oz, 2 sticks or 250g) cannabutter
- Prepare the store-bought brownie mix according to the instructions on the box. Use cannabutter instead of baking oil.
- Pour the remaining cannabutter into the pan, then pour the brownie mix on top. Let the additional butter soak into the bottom of the brownies.
- Cook according to the directions on the brownie box.
Quick and easy pot brownie recipe (mouth-watering Fudgebuds)
If you are looking for the most delicious way to fix up some weed brownies, here is a recipe for my Fudgebuds (I’ve made my fair share of pot brownies this way):
- Plastic mixing bowl
- Stainless steel cake pan
- Metal wire rack
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cocoa powder – ¾ cups
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- A pinch of salt
- Water – 2 tablespoons
- Cannabutter – 1 stick (around 4 oz, 120 grams)
- Eggs – 2 large eggs
- Flour – a bit over a ⅓ cup
- Chocolate topping (or some other topping)
- Preheat you oven to 325°F (162°C).
- Grease your brownie pan with regular butter. We suggest you use a stainless steel pan since they will prevent your brownies from sticking.
- Add sugar, cocoa, vanilla, salt, water and cannabutter to the mixing bowl. Whisk to blend all the ingredients together.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating them as hard as you can with a whisk until the mixture is glossy.
- Add flour to the bowl and whisk the entire mixture for about 3 minutes.
- Bake the mix for about 20-30 minutes. Just like with any other brownies, you can find out whether they are done by poking them with a toothpick inserted until it comes out clean.
Use a spatula to cut and move the brownies to a metal wire rack in order for them to cool down.
Be sure to add toppings such as chocolate chips or ice cream.
What makes the best pot brownie?
Getting the dosage right is by far the most important part of the whole process—you don’t want to make them too strong as the people eating them might be in for a rough trip.
Putting too much cannabis in your brownies can make your batch a nightmare for those eating them, causing extremely long and exhausting highs that last for hours.
There were even known cases of people eating extremely strong brownies, trying to sleep it off after a while, and then waking up super high.
However, this can go two ways — you can also add too little cannabis to the mix and end up with a batch of delicious brownies that won’t make you high.
Here are another few things to keep in mind when making pot brownies:
- THC-rich strains will bring in the best results.
- Make sure that the cannabis you are using for brownies is organically grown, meaning that no pesticides have been used in the process of growing the plant. These pesticides can have negative effects on the end product and give it a foul taste.
Making a smaller, yet more potent batch is always a better idea in my opinion, and here’s why — brownies made with smaller doses will take longer to kick in.
Should you bake from scratch or use a store-bought mix?
Weed brownies made from scratch usually require cannabutter for the recipe, while the simpler version can often be made with just cannabis oil and the brownie mix bought from the store.
Either way, make sure you’re baking them in a well-aired area because it’s gonna get smelly in the kitchen.
When making weed brownies from scratch, the process is a bit longer and more tedious, unless you love cooking and baking.
Don’t get ahead of yourself!
If you’re not certain about your tolerance with edibles, eat only a half or even a quarter of a brownie the first time around. Weed edibles usually take about an hour or two to kick in.
So, before diving into the whole batch and getting high as a kite make sure you let them sit in and do their thing for a while before devouring the rest.